Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 14 - 5/6/2013

This week was actually just really fun. Full of adventure. On Tuesday(?) All of our appointments fell through, actually just all our investigators weren't home so we decided to try something that they taught us in Zone meeting. Finding in English! Crazy, right? They said they've actually seen a lot of success in going to the bigger houses and speaking english because you are more likely to find professionals that will help to build up the church and they are more receptive because they actually have to focus on what you are saying and they always like to practice. So we went to literally the biggest house in Catarman, it is HUGE! and we maupay'd (it's like knocking) and we taught this old super rich, super catholic all in english. It went really well actually. She is still very catholic but she wants us to return so we're teaching her again tonight. It's amazing how teaching in English is not even hard cause I don't even have to think about it like in Waray-waray. She has had the discussions before, I'm hoping we can find more people to teach through her. We've just been teaching the same people, but many aren't progressing as they should be so we're using this week to see if we should drop them or not, which is sad but there are people ready for us! So we'll see. Then, Since last week when Sister Robinson transferred to UEP, she has drawn a few hilarious comics depicting various funny stories so we've started doing that too and it really is so fun! I love it! Unfortunately we don't have too much time for it, but Sister Somera is really keeping a comic strip journal with the highlights and it is hilarious. every time we are with other missionaries, they ask how we are doing and we just show them the comics haha it's awesome. And we found out we have to move again... we only have one light in our apartment and we've had problems with the consistency of water and such so we're house hunting again so we honestly won't have much time for work this week. And today was so fun! For our zone activity, we all went to the beach and took jumping pictures, and did handstands, cartwheels, attempted to build sandcastles, dug holes, partially buried me and got very sun-burnt  It was so great. It really felt like a normal day at the beach. And they cooked some fish and pork on a fire they made from things on the beach and the grill was held up by coconuts and to eat it they just spread it all on 2 huge banana leaves, rice too and everyone just dug in with their hands. It was great! I seriously love my zone so much. Sister Somera says some pretty funny things that I wanted to share but I always forget! Oh, on Friday I had a stomachache and she said, "oh no, Sister you have an ulcer because we skipped a meal yesterday!" "We didn't skip, we had peanut butter on bread!" " If there is no rice, it is not a meal! just a snack!" "Sister, I have lived my whole life without eating rice at every meal and I've been just fine" "But now you are in the Philippines!" haha so don't be surprised if I eat rice at every meal when I get home. And that's about it! Oh, and I've been reading the infinite atonement by Tad Callister and it is amazing! for real, everyone should read it. There is so much I didn't know, or just didn't think about. And I can't remember if I wrote about a Marvelous Work and Wonder last week... I finished that too and I loved it! Especially since I learned about where the Pearl of Great Price came from. Why have I never learned this?? It's a legit story! And Why I have I never wondered?!?! My mind was seriously blown open. My favorite part is summary about how this gospel is truly a great and marvelous work that will continue to fill the whole world. It talks about how amazing the growth of the church was and it was written in 1950, it has grown SO much more since then! It's amazing to apart of this great work as we sweep the globe with knowledge, peace and happiness. You should read it. And your scriptures. Love you! I get to skype next week, but they have told me nothing!  Have a great week! I will literally see you next week! Yay!


Sister Pike
Birthday Party at the Beach

With the Birthday Girl!


Fanning a baby during the lesson, It was so hot!!


This is the house I went to for my first appt. ever in the Philippines.


All my fans- We got a ride from Tay Ordonez and when we parked all these kids crowded around to shake my hand, it was so hilarious. Like 15 really.


With Sister Robinson (the other "child" of Sister Somera (*the trainer is called the parent and the child is the trainee, the grandparent is the trainers trainer, etc..)) and Sister Nelson. "Aren't you so proud of your posterity?" (because Sister Robinson is the "nanay of Sister Nelson, technically number 2 cause she is finishing her training which lasts 12 weeks total.)

On the way to the beach we rode on the side of the motorcycle and it was raining and they had a little curtain. So nice!

Practicing our Asian squatting, it is so hard! But I am determined!


Beach Day!






That's a jeepnee, never actually ridden in one but I hear it's an adventure!

Just some cute girls walking

You know that old sewing machine at Aunt Debbie's and we're like "whoa, that's so ancient!" yeah, that's what they use here. I've seen it in many people's houses. 

This is a wedding announcement. Kinda bizarre, no? Very functional!






Since we don't have couches, they just, you know, sit in the laundry baskets. I swear I was born to be here haha.


Delicious pastry, they're the best. We have a bakery right around the corner and I love trying new things all the time.


Sister Somera creating her comic strip journal, it's really the greatest.

This is where she takes naps, and people thing I'm weird for sleeping on the floor! Love her

Yeah, that's cheese flavored ice cream. It's actually pretty good! It even has chunks of cheese hahah.

It's a mini pineapple! I'ts just a flower, but isn't it so awesome!

At the beach today - Legit cooks!

Our Zone, haha Elder Banawan with the bag on his head, seriously Filipinos will do anything to avoid the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment