Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 28 - 8/12/2013

So, not much happened this week... I'm in Tacloban! And We're just waiting for some test results. I've been good... pretty much the same but definitely not worse. I have zero other symptoms, just tired and sleepy which I can definitely handle. Probably the best sickness ever except for my poor companion is running out of reading materials. We've been staying with the Tacloban sisters just sleeping in their living room on mattresses which is so fun. There are 6 of them so it's been fun getting to know them, they are soo nice. Sister Schaap, my mtc companion, is assigned there so that's been so fun. We had no idea we would be staying here this long so we are so ready to go back to Catarman so hopefully everything will be figured out soon. On the plus side they live super close to the Robinson's mall which has some really good food like Shakey's (really good american pizza) and KFC so we've been spoiled.
Yesterday, we went to church here in Tacloban witht the other missionaries which was a really cool experience. #1- their ward has 5 sets of missionaries!!! Granted that includes the Sister Training Leaders and Assistant to the Presidents and office elders which are like part time missionaries because they work so much with other missionaries all over the mission... but still! And the first speaker started by telling a story about her sister's children. She said her daughter's name is Kian- and I thought, that's kinda weird when names are used cause you don't REALLY need to know them for the story to make sense... then she said and her twin sons name Tiny and Laki- and I thought, wait, I know twins named tiny and laki and those aren't exactly normal... then she said and their other sister Jerra- then it hit me, that's the magalang family from the Catarman 2nd ward!!! I know them!!! So here I am in Tacloban right when she tells a story about a family that I know more than 6 hours away... crazy small world!! We talked about it after, I felt pretty cool. What are the odds... and also the Sisters there have a new investigator that came to church but isn't from here and is going home at the end of the month who is from... you guessed it, Catarman. Our ward too which is even crazier considering how many missionaries there are there.
It was SO weird not being in church as a real missionary- not needing to worry about attendance and those who you visited, your investigators/ less actives- but the elders kept us updated on who wasn't there and what we need to do, I can't wait to get back to the work and back to Catarman, I miss everyone so much! Hopefully it won't be too much longer...
Funny story that just happened... We just ate at a filipino- italian restraunt which is SUCH a weird combination to begin with, but it was actually really good! Right when we finished, in walked 5 white people which is SO weird. As american missionaries, we think it's so weird when everyone stares at us for being white until you see white people and can't help but stare! Any way, it was whole family which is even weirder because if you do see an american, it's an old white rich guy with his tiny, young filipina wife, anyway... then they started talking German! It was so bizarre! We just looked at each other and started laughing like- is this really happening?
I would just like to thank everyone so much for their thoughts and prayers and I feel so incredibly loved. This week I was able to have some really cool revelation and I know that no matter what happens, it will be for the best and it's God's plan for me and as soon as you can realize that, life is SO much easier. I don't know where I would be without the gospel through this time, I have been strengthened so much through my prayers and especially reading the book of mormon. I'm really grateful for this learning experience and I know it's made me a better, stronger person already and it's not even quite over yet! I love you all!


Sister Pike

No comments:

Post a Comment